Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 10:43:50AM +0100, Jelte Fennema wrote:
> Side-question: What's the reason why pgindent is used instead of some
> more "modern" code formatter that doesn't require keeping
> typedefs.list up to date for good looking output? (e.g. uncrustify or
> clang-format) Because that would also allow for easy editor
> integration.

One reason the typedef list is required is a quirk of the C syntax.
Most languages have a lexer/scanner, which tokenizes, and a parser,
which parses.  The communication is usually one-way, lexer to parser.
For C, typedefs require the parser to feed new typedefs back into the
lexer:

    http://calculist.blogspot.com/2009/02/c-typedef-parsing-problem.html

BSD indent doesn't have that feedback mechanism, probably because it
doesn't fully parse the C file.  Therefore, we have to supply typedefs
manually, and for Postgres we pull them from debug-enabled binaries in
our buildfarm.  The problem with that is you often import typedefs from
system headers, and the typedefs apply to all C files, not just the ones
were the typdefs are visible.

I don't see uncrustify or clang-format supporting typedef lists so maybe
they implemented this feedback loop.  It would be good to see if we can
get either of these tools to match our formatting.

Embrace your flaws.  They make you human, rather than perfect,
which you will never be.

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Unicode grapheme clusters
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: Unicode grapheme clusters