Re: [HACKERS] PL/Lang (was: Priorities for 6.6)

От Dmitry Samersoff
Тема Re: [HACKERS] PL/Lang (was: Priorities for 6.6)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 09-Jun-99 Philip Warner wrote:
> At 13:34 9/06/99 +0400, you wrote:
>>
>>IMHO, It's bad practice to embed Perl, C++ and so on into postgres.
>>because it slow down postgres, increase memory requirement
>>and amount of leaks and errors.
>
> You can't possibly mean to say Perl is a slow, leaky memory hog! ;-}
No - it just a huge bug ;-))I like Perl - but it's really too big to be combined with something else.

> Do I detect a conspiracy here? (Oleg?)
 I hope not. No masquerading is installed - I'm Dmitry yet. ;-))

>>Postgres should use it's own language like plpgsql, and
>>it's better to point your mind to improve and speed up it.
>>
>>For example:
>> Add pre-compilation and syntax check while create function
>> executed
>
> At least a syntax check...
>

>> Add some string and regex manipulation functions.
>> Add exception handling.
>>

> These all sound like a good idea.

Thanks

> Jan: If I volunteer to attempt any of these, can you provide advice?

---
Dmitry Samersoff, dms@wplus.net, ICQ:3161705
http://devnull.wplus.net
* There will come soft rains ...

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: [PORTS] Anyone working on linux Alpha?
От: wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] External functions/languages and transactions