Re: Performance problems

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: Performance problems
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 25 Apr 2003, marco wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 17:05, Manuel Durán Aguete wrote:
> > Hello,
> >     VACCUM it's your friend, look at the docs or search the list.
> >
> >                                 Regards.
> >
> Well, you are right. I Vacuum this db once every day with a cronjob like
> this:
>
> > crontab -l

> 0 0 * * 0 psql -U <user_name> <db_name> -c vacuum
>
> This should work...
>
> But even after running vacuum like that I have the same situation as before. It
> takes more time to read or write the database than it would normally
> take...
>
> But as all the others have written in their answers to my question I should do
> vacuum full and vacuum analyze on a somewhat regular basis. Thanks for the hints!
> I will test them on Monday.
>
> Thanks to all and have a nice weekend,

You may be suffering from the heartbreak of index bloat.  If your updates
are such that they index key is always adding to one end, and removing
from the other, then the index will grow very wide, with a lot of
unpopulated leaves on the left.  Try reindex index index_name on the
indexes for the updated table and see if that helps.

От: "scott.marlowe"
Сообщение: Re: Solaris
От: "Jimmie H. Apsey"
Сообщение: Re: Postgres client/server parameters?