bool / vacuum full bug followup part 2

От Scott Marlowe
Тема bool / vacuum full bug followup part 2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
OK, I remembered what was different.  I had an index the first time.  So,
it was the index I was watchin grow and never shrink.

Now this is reproduceable for me.

I dropped and recreated my test index

drop index test_yn_dx ;
create index test_yn_dx on test (yn);
vacuum full;

[postgres@css120] oid2name -d scott.marlowe
All tables from database "scott.marlowe":
---------------------------------
16557  = test
126563 = test_yn_dx

cd into the base/oid of my database, then:

du -s 16557 126563
11128   16557
1772    126563

update test set yn=true where yn=true;
UPDATE 50080

[postgres@css120 16556]$ du -s 16557 126563
16704   16557
2948    126563

vacuum;

[postgres@css120 16556]$ du -s 16557 126563
16704   16557
2948    126563

vacuum full;

[postgres@css120 16556]$ du -s 16557 126563
11128   16557
4100    126563

I tried:

vacuum test_yn_dx;
NOTICE:  VACUUM: can not process indexes, views or special system tables
NOTICE:  VACUUM: table not found
VACUUM

so, then I tried:

reindex index test_yn_dx;
REINDEX

oid2name -d scott.marlowe
All tables from database "scott.marlowe":
---------------------------------
16557  = test
126564 = test_yn_dx

[postgres@css120 16556]$ du -s 16557 126564
11128   16557
1772    126564

And reclaimed the space.  Is that the official way, short of dropping and
recreating an index to reclaim its space?  Is there a plan to make vacuum
reclaim unused space in indexes?  Just wondering.

От: Scott Marlowe
Сообщение: Re: Subject: bool / vacuum full bug followup
От: Uros Gruber
Сообщение: problem with RULEs