Documentation on WAL/buffer cache/checkpoint internals

От Greg Smith
Тема Documentation on WAL/buffer cache/checkpoint internals
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I have a project I'm working on that involves a deep look at WAL and
checkpoint performance; a patch related to this topic will be ready to
release shortly.  The company I'm working for was kind enough to allow me
to release the documentation I wrote for them while trying to understand
the code involved, and I just posted the first public version of that to
my web site:

http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/postgresql/

As most of the hacker-level documentation I've read about the PostgreSQL
codebase was aimed more at query and data type related work, this topic
seemed liked it could use some more coverage.  I apologize for the crappy
Word->HTML conversion; wanted to get a draft out rather than delaying for
reformatting work first.  My agenda here includes:

1) Would love to get feedback and corrections.  I know there's errors in
there but can't think of anyone but this group who could tell me what they
are.

2) Does anyone else have documentation on this topic they might contribute
now that I've started a framework for it, or documentation suggestions for
what else should be convered here?  I can't be the only one who's looked
into this topic, but I didn't find much information on it out there.

3) I'm open to suggestions for where to put this information at in a form
more integrated into the community.  That's part of why I didn't sweat the
formatting yet, I'm expecting at least one more format conversion before
I'm done.

От: Marc Munro
Сообщение: Re: Reducing likelihood of deadlocks (was referential Integrity and SHARE locks)
От: "Pavan Deolasee"
Сообщение: Re: HOT for PostgreSQL 8.3