Re: system usage stats (Was: Re: Why Not MySQL? )

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: system usage stats (Was: Re: Why Not MySQL? )
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 4 May 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> > Now, Mitch's results for v7.0 showed something like:
> > 0/12 filesystem blocks in/out
> > You intepreted that as 12 reads from the file system ... 'out' I would
> > have interpreted as writes to the file system, which made zero sense
> > ... do we have our 'in/out's backwards here?
>
> Good point.  Writes from a SELECT are certainly possible --- the SELECT
> could be writing tuple status-flag updates, if it was the first
> transaction to verify commit status of tuples created by a prior
> transaction.  But that again raises the issue of whether we've got
> a fair comparison.  The 6.5 test apparently only saw already-marked-
> committed tuples ...

I was hoping that Mitch would have spoken up by now about it, but an email
I saw from him stated that the v7.0 machine (development) wasn't as
powerful as the v6.5.3 machine (production) ... that might account for it,
I just don't know how much different the two machines are ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

От: The Hermit Hacker
Сообщение: pg_group_name_index corrupt?
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: pg_group_name_index corrupt?