Re: [GENERAL] Performance

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Performance
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Dustin Sallings wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> # Using the rc5 client as a 'benchmark' (what else has programmers working
> # hard to optimize their code to get the best numbers on it?), we found
> # that when comparing a Dual-PII 450 against an Sparc E450/400Mhz, the
> # E450 came in at ~30% less powerful then the Dual-PII ...
>
>     That's a *horrible* benchmark.  How often do your servers sit
> around doing math inside of cache?  This isn't raytracing.

    My servers do more math inside of cache then they do raytracing...
:)

    Anyway, regardless...for the price of that one Sparc E450 we
picked up, I could pick up *easily* a dozen Dual-PII 450 servers, and run
something like Beowulf on it to do the raytracing...

    Wait, isn't that what IBM just did?  Built a Beowulf cluster of
Netfnity servers for ~$150k, that outperformed a $5.5Million Cray?  And, I
*thought* they did something like raytracing with it...I can't remmeber
the full article, but it was ... enlightening.  If you want me to dig
aruond and find the URL to it, please ask...

>     It's nicknamed ``Slowaris'' for the same reason FreeBSD is
> nicknamed, ``FleaBeastie'' and Linux is nicknamed ``Linsux'' and HP-UX is
> nicknamed ``HP-SUX'' etc...

    Welp, I've been educated today then...I didn't know FreeBSD or
Linux had nicknames :)

Systems Administrator @ hub.org