Re: Need psql send email

От Martin French
Тема Re: Need psql send email
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> The 1st one seems OK in a scary-from-a-security-standpoint kind of way.

Agree, it needs to be weighed up and assessed from a security stand point I guess.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12002662/psql-trigger-send-email

> Imagine if the DNS goes wonky. Do you want all your backends tied up in
> DNS lookups? Or timing-out TCP connections?

Agree 100%, which is why I noted: "the server is properly configured on the network"... I suppose you could always provide an IP address as the mail host. This function is only a "Quick Knock Together" job, that works readily enough.

IMHO There's always an inherent risk with any form of sending mail from an RDBMS, whether it be abuse or otherwise, however; it's one of those situations where "needs must", and more often than not must be done quickly.

I would guess that having SMTP built into the DB engine itself would be no less susceptible to abuse or problems than any other method (For example UTL_SMTP in Oracle, which I've had hang before due to issues with SMTP servers).

I guess it's one of those where you just have to weigh up the options and choose the best one for your situation/application.

Cheers

Martin

Romax Technology Limited
Rutherford House
Nottingham Science & Technology Park
Nottingham,
NG7 2PZ
England

Telephone numbers:
+44 (0)115 951 88 00 (main)

For other office locations see:
http://www.romaxtech.com/Contact
=================================
===============
E-mail: info@romaxtech.com
Website:
www.romaxtech.com
=================================

Confidentiality Statement
This transmission is for the addressee only and contains information that is confidential and privileged.
Unless you are the named addressee, or authorised to receive it on behalf of the addressee
you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else.
If you have received this transmission in error please delete from your system and contact the sender. Thank you for your cooperation.

От: Edson Richter
Сообщение: Re: Slow counting still true?
От: Edson Richter
Сообщение: Re: Need psql send email