Re: [PROPOSAL] Make PSQLVAR on \getenv opitional

От Matheus Alcantara
Тема Re: [PROPOSAL] Make PSQLVAR on \getenv opitional
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Tuesday, December 28th, 2021 at 16:53, Tom Lanetgl@sss.pgh.pa.us wrote:

Matheus Alcantara msalcantara.dev@pm.me writes:

it is not consistent with other \g* commands. Maybe a new statement \senv ? But what is the use case? You can just press ^z and inside shell write echo $xxx, and then fg

I think that the basic use case would be just for debugging, instead call \getenv and them \echo, we could just use \getenv. I don't see any other advantages, It would just be to

write fewer commands. I think that ^z and then fg is a good alternative, since this behavior would be inconsistent.

You don't even need to do that much. This works fine:

postgres=# \! echo $PATH

So I'm not convinced that we need another way to spell that.

(Admittedly, this probably doesn't work on Windows, but

I gather that environment variables are less interesting there.)

regards, tom lane

I definitely agree with this. We already have other ways to handle it.

Thanks for discussion and quick responses.

Matheus Alcantara

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Foreign key joins revisited
От: Andrew Dunstan
Сообщение: Re: [PROPOSAL] Make PSQLVAR on \getenv opitional