General Question About Indexes

От shey sewani
Тема General Question About Indexes
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Hello,

I have a general question about indexing.  I'm trying to estimate the total
size of my database with indexes.  I have a fiarly large table
which has the following fields.

name       (char (8))
name2      (char (8))
date       (date)
number1    (float8)
number2    (float8)
time1      (float8)
number3    (float8)
time2      (float8)
number4    (float8)

If created an index on the fields name and date.  How much data would i add
to "each row?"  Also what elements make up an index?  For example if the
size of the index is 12 bytes per row, what pices of information make up
those 12 bytes?

I would also like to mention what I mean by adding data to each row. What I
mean by adding data to each row is, the total index size on a table divided
by the total number of rows in a field.

Sheheryar Sewani
Houston, TX

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: trouble with (lack of) indexing
От: Jean-Luc Lachance
Сообщение: Performance and locks