Re: auto-vacuum & Negative "anl" Values

От Dylan Hansen
Тема Re: auto-vacuum & Negative "anl" Values
Дата
Список pgsql-general
So can I assume that this is a bug?

The only resolution I can see right now is to setup a cron job that will perform an ANALYZE periodically, as the pg_autovacuum ANALYZE threshold is never reached.

Any other suggestions?  Thanks for the input!

--

Dylan Hansen

Enterprise Systems Developer

On 24-Jun-06, at 4:09 PM, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:

Tom Lane wrote:
Dylan Hansen <dhansen@pixpo.com> writes:

I have been spending some time looking into how auto-vacuum is  performing on one of our servers.  After putting the PostgreSQL logs  in debug I noticed that the threshold for ANALYZE was never being hit  for a particular table because the calculated value becomes  increasingly negative.

Hmm, it shouldn't ever be negative at all, I would think.  The
calculation in question is

anltuples = tabentry->n_live_tuples + tabentry->n_dead_tuples -
tabentry->last_anl_tuples;

Apparently somehow last_anl_tuples has managed to get to be bigger than
n_live_tuples, which maybe could happen after a delete.  Should we be
clamping last_anl_tuples to not exceed n_live_tuples somewhere?
Alvaro and Matthew, what do you think?

I think I had something in the contrib version that checked this.  I always assumed it would be caused by a stats reset which was more common in earlier PGSQL releases since stats_reset_on_startup (or whatever the correct spelling of that is) was enabled by default.

      match