pgsql: Use a hash table for catcache.c's CatCList objects.

От Tom Lane
Тема pgsql: Use a hash table for catcache.c's CatCList objects.
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
Use a hash table for catcache.c's CatCList objects.

Up to now, all of the "catcache list" objects within a catalog cache
were just chained together on a single dlist, requiring O(N) time to
search.  Remarkably, we've not had serious performance problems with
that so far; but we got a complaint of a bad performance regression
from v15 in a case with a large number of roles in the system, which
traced down to O(N^2) total time when we probed N catcache lists.

Replace that data structure with a hashtable having an enlargeable
number of dlists, in an exactly parallel way to the data structure
we've used for years for the plain CatCTup cache members.  The extra
cost of maintaining a hash table seems negligible, since we were
already computing a hash value for list searches.

Normally this'd be HEAD-only material, but in view of the performance
regression it seems advisable to back-patch into v16.  In the v16
version of the patch, leave the dead cc_lists field where it is and
add the new fields at the end of struct catcache, to avoid possible
ABI breakage in case any external code is looking at these structs.
(We assume no external code is actually allocating new catcache
structs.)

Per report from alex work.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/CAGvXd3OSMbJQwOSc-Tq-Ro1CAz=vggErdSG7pv2s6vmmTOLJSg@mail.gmail.com

Branch
------
REL_16_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/14e991db89b1e0fd39e8875b80da7f0b0c3533a4

Modified Files
src/backend/utils/cache/catcache.c | 143 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++------
src/include/utils/catcache.h       |   5 ++

От: Daniel Gustafsson
Сообщение: pgsql: Add notBefore and notAfter to SSL cert info display
От: Daniel Gustafsson
Сообщение: Re: pgsql: Add notBefore and notAfter to SSL cert info display