Re: Compression and on-disk sorting

От Zeugswetter Andreas DCP SD
Тема Re: Compression and on-disk sorting
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > Personally, I believe it would be worth it - but only to a few. And
> > these most of these few are likely using Oracle. So, no gain unless
> > you can convince them to switch back... :-)
>
> We do know that the benefit for commercial databases that use raw and
> file system storage is that raw storage is only a few percentage
> points faster.

Imho it is really not comparable because they all use direct or async IO
that bypasses the OS buffercache even when using filesystem files for
storage.
A substantial speed difference is allocation of space for restore
(no format of fs and no file allocation needed).

I am not saying this to advocate moving in that direction however.
I do however think that there is substantial headroom in reducing the
number
of IO calls and reducing on disk storage requirements.
Especially in concurrent load scenarios.

Andreas

От: "Zeugswetter Andreas DCP SD"
Сообщение: Re: Compression and on-disk sorting
От: Martijn van Oosterhout
Сообщение: Re: [BUGS] BUG #2429: Explain does not report object's schema