Re: Question regarding how databases support atomicity

От Siddharth Jain
Тема Re: Question regarding how databases support atomicity
Дата
Re: Question regarding how databases support atomicity  (Christophe Pettus <xof@thebuild.com>)
Список pgsql-general

On Fri, May 3, 2024 at 8:00 PM Siddharth Jain <siddhsql@gmail.com> wrote:
I am trying to sharpen my understanding of databases. Let's say there is an operation foo as part of the public API that internally translates to more than 1 operation - I am sure there are examples like this in postgres. So to do foo we have to do following in order in all or none fashion:

1. Step 1
2. Step 2
3. Step 3

The way I understand this is that if there is a failure in-between, we start undoing and reverting the previous operations one by one. But what if there is a failure and we are not able to revert an operation. How is that situation handled? e.g., something failed when we tried to do Step 3. now we revert Step 2 and succeed. but when we try to revert step 1 we fail. what happens now? To me, it seems its impossible to guarantee true atomicity in general.

S.

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: How to Build Postgres in a Portable / Relocatable fashion?
От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: Question regarding how databases support atomicity