Re: Add SPLIT PARTITION/MERGE PARTITIONS commands

От Alexander Korotkov
Тема Re: Add SPLIT PARTITION/MERGE PARTITIONS commands
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 12:37 AM Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 08, 2024 at 09:00:10PM +0300, Alexander Korotkov wrote:

> > > This problem is only relevant for an old version of fix [1], which
> > > overrides schemas for new partitions.  That version was never
> > > committed.
> >
> > Here are the patches.
> > 0002 Skips copying extended statistics while creating new partitions in MERGE/SPLIT
> >
> > For 0002 I'd like to hear some feedback on wordings used in docs and comments.
>
> commit message:
>
> Currenlty => Currently
> partiions => partitios
> copying => by copying

Thank you!

> > However, parent's table extended statistics already covers all its
> > children.
>
> => That's the wrong explanation.  It's not that "stats on the parent
> table cover its children".  It's that there are two types of stats:
> stats for the "table hierarchy" and stats for the individual table.
> That's true for single-column stats as well as for extended stats.
> In both cases, that's indicated by the inh flag in the code and in the
> catalog.
>
> The right explanation is that extended stats on partitioned tables are
> not similar to indexes.  Indexes on parent table are nothing other than
> a mechanism to create indexes on the child tables.  That's not true for
> stats.
>
> See also my prior messages
> ZiJW1g2nbQs9ekwK@pryzbyj2023
> Zi5Msg74C61DjJKW@pryzbyj2023

Yes, I understand that parents pg_statistic entry with stainherit ==
true includes statistics for the children.  I tried to express this by
word "covers".  But you're right, this is the wrong explanation.

Can I, please, ask you to revise the patch?

> I think EXCLUDE IDENTITY can/should now also be removed - see 509199587.
> I'm not able to reproduce that problem anyway, even before that...

I will check this.

------
Regards,
Alexander Korotkov
Supabase

От: David Rowley
Сообщение: Re: 2024-05-09 release announcement draft
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: ALTER EXTENSION SET SCHEMA versus dependent types