Re: "Too far out of the mainstream"

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: "Too far out of the mainstream"
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com> wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2012, at 12:45 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So do they ever go to a site that ends in .org or .info?  Tell them to
>> stop it right now, as they are relying on PostgreSQL for those sites
>> to resolve, and PostgreSQL is too far out of the mainstream.  Once
>> they've stopped using or visiting .org and .info sites tell them to
>> get back to you.
>
> Mmm. Don't push this line of argument too hard. As I understand it,
> Postgresql is used by the registry to keep track of their customers -
> whois data, effectively.
>
> The actual resolution is handled by a different database, or was back
> when I knew the details of that end of .org.
>
> I'm sure there's an Access database somewhere in Facebook, but that
> doesn't mean Facebook runs on Access. :)

Unless things have changed, Andrew Sullivan in this message
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-advocacy/2002-09/msg00012.php
says:

"All interactions with the shared registry system, and any whois
queries against whois.afilias.net, are served by a PostgreSQL
database."

So yeah of course direct service of dns lookup is done via bind
servers operating off harvested data, but whois comes right out of a
pg database, and live updates go right into a pg database.

От: Andrew Sullivan
Сообщение: Re: "Too far out of the mainstream"
От: Scott Marlowe
Сообщение: Re: "Too far out of the mainstream"