Re: Pre-allocating WAL files

От Pavel Borisov
Тема Re: Pre-allocating WAL files
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> pre-allocating during checkpoints.  I've done a few pgbench runs, and
> it seems to work pretty well.  Initialization is around 15% faster,
> and I'm seeing about a 5% increase in TPS with a simple-update
> workload with wal_recycle turned off.  Of course, these improvements
> go away once segments can be recycled.

I've checked the patch v7. It applies cleanly, code is good, check-world tests passed without problems.
I think it's ok to use checkpointer for this and the overall patch can be committed. But the seen performance gain makes me think again before adding this feature. I did tests myself a couple of months ago and got similar results.
Really don't know whether is it worth the effort.

Wish you and all hackers happy New Year!
--
Best regards,
Pavel Borisov

Postgres Professional: http://postgrespro.com

От: Yura Sokolov
Сообщение: Fix BUG #17335: Duplicate result rows in Gather node
От: Maxim Orlov
Сообщение: Re: Pre-allocating WAL files