Re: naming of async_mode parameter

От Zhihong Yu
Тема Re: naming of async_mode parameter
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 1:05 AM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro.fujita@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 2:23 AM Zhihong Yu <zyu@yugabyte.com> wrote:
> I was looking at
>   Fix EXPLAIN ANALYZE for async-capable nodes.

Thanks for that!

> which adds the following parameter / field:
>
> +   bool        async_mode;     /* true if node is in async mode */
>
> async_mode implies an enum: {sync, async}
> Since there are only two values, the data type is bool. I think it should be named is_async.

By async_mode, I mean "is in async mode?", as commented above.  I
thought the naming is_in_async_mode would be a bit long, so I
shortened it to async_mode.  IIUC, I think another example in our
codebase would be the hash_spill_mode parameter in the AggState
struct.  So I think async_mode would be acceptable IMO.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Hi,
Searching postgres codebase reveals the following (partial) examples:

bool is_varlena
bool is_leaf

I think these are more intuitive.

If you think is_in_async_mode is too long, how about naming the parameter is_async ?

If you agree, I can send out a patch.

Cheers

От: Laurenz Albe
Сообщение: Re: Support for VACUUMing Foreign Tables
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: compute_query_id and pg_stat_statements