Re: Oracle vs. PostgreSQL - a comment

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: Oracle vs. PostgreSQL - a comment
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On 6/2/20 11:38, Ron wrote:
> Right.  Making WAL files specific to a database should be high on the
> list of priorities.

Did Oracle change this?  Last time I looked, I don't think Oracle
supported local redo in their multitenant architecture either.

Regardless of what Oracle does, I agree this would be a huge step in the right direction for pg-DBAs.
I have absolutely no clue about how much work is required etc., but I think it's kind of strange that no companies have invested in making this happen.

I manage database clusters where the number of databases is a reason not to do logical replication based upgrades, where pg_upgrade is far preferred instead.

If this were to be the case, I would be very concerned that a bunch of things would have to change:
1.  Shared catalogs would have txid problems unless you stay with global txids and then how do local wal streams work there?
2.  Possibility that suddenly streaming replication has the possibility of different databases having different amounts of lag
3.  Problems with io management on WAL on high throughput systems (I have systems where a db cluster generates 10-20TB of WAL per day)

So I am not at all sure this would be a step in the right direction or worth the work.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor lock-in.