Re: check_function_bodies not doing much

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: check_function_bodies not doing much
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 12:31 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Marcelo Lacerda <marceloslacerda@gmail.com> writes:
> I was trying to get postgres to warn me that I'm referencing a table that
> it doesn't exists inside a function so I was told on the IRC to check the
> setting "check_function_bodies", however when I use it in a plpgsql
> function it doesn't actually check if the tables in the body exist. Is this
> the correct behavior?

Yes.  It's supposed to be a syntax check, not a check that the function
would work when executed.  (Depending on the particular PL you're using,
which you didn't mention, it might be a pretty weak syntax check too.)

The quoted text includes "however when I use it in a plpgsql function" so we're good there.

Might be worth updating the docs for the GUC (or a note in the languages themselves) to mention what the check covers for each of them.  At least distinguishing between syntax and semantics for each.
David J.

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: check_function_bodies not doing much
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: check_function_bodies not doing much