Re: Document NULL

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Document NULL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 3, 2024 at 1:14 AM jian he <jian.universality@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, May 3, 2024 at 2:47 PM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:

> On Thu, 2024-05-02 at 08:23 -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> > Version 2 attached.  Still a draft, focused on topic picking and overall structure.
>
> I'm fine with most of the material (ignoring ellipses and typos), except this:
>
> +    The NOT NULL column constraint is largely syntax sugar for the corresponding
> +    column IS NOT NULL check constraint, though there are metadata differences
> +    described in create table.

the system does not translate (check constraint column IS NOT NULL)
to NOT NULL constraint,
at least in domain.

I'll change this but I was focusing on the fact you get identical user-visible behavior with not null and a check(col is not null).  Chain of thought being we discuss the is not null operator (indirectly) already and so not null, which is syntax as opposed to an operation/expression, can leverage that explanation as opposed to getting its own special case.  I'll consider this some more and maybe mention the catalog dynamics a bit as well, or at least point to them.

drop domain connotnull cascade;
create domain connotnull integer;
alter domain connotnull add check (value is not null);
\dD

This reminds me, I forgot to add commentary regarding defining a not null constraint on a domain but the domain type surviving a left join but having a null value.

David J.

От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: Tarball builds in the new world order
От: Justin Pryzby
Сообщение: Re: pg17 issues with not-null contraints