Re: CREATE TABLE creates a composite type corresponding to the table row, which is and is not there

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: CREATE TABLE creates a composite type corresponding to the table row, which is and is not there
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 8:46 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 4, 2024 at 12:41 AM Erik Wienhold <ewie@ewie.name> wrote:
> Thanks, fixed in v4.  Looks like American English prefers that comma and
> it's also more common in our docs.

Reviewing this patch:

-      Creates a <firstterm>typed table</firstterm>, which takes its
-      structure from the specified composite type (name optionally
-      schema-qualified).  A typed table is tied to its type; for
-      example the table will be dropped if the type is dropped
-      (with <literal>DROP TYPE ... CASCADE</literal>).
+      Creates a <firstterm>typed table</firstterm>, which takes its structure
+      from an existing (name optionally schema-qualified) stand-alone composite
+      type (i.e., created using <xref linkend="sql-createtype"/>) though it
+      still produces a new composite type as well.  The table will have
+      a dependency on the referenced type such that cascaded alter and drop
+      actions on the type will propagate to the table.

It would be better if this diff didn't reflow the unchanged portions
of the paragraph.

I agree that it's a good idea to mention that the table must have been
created using CREATE TYPE .. AS here, but I disagree with the rest of
the rewording in this hunk. I think we could just add "creating using
CREATE TYPE" to the end of the first sentence, with an xref, and leave
the rest as it is.

I don't see a reason to mention that the typed
table also spawns a rowtype; that's just standard CREATE TABLE
behavior and not really relevant here.

I figured it wouldn't be immediately obvious that the system would create a second type with identical structure.  Of course, in order for SELECT tbl FROM tbl; to work it must indeed do so.  I'm not married to pointing out this dynamic explicitly though.

And I don't understand what the
rest of the rewording does for us.

It calls out the explicit behavior that the table's columns can change due to actions on the underlying type.  Mentioning this unique behavior seems worth a sentence.

      <para>
-      When a typed table is created, then the data types of the
-      columns are determined by the underlying composite type and are
-      not specified by the <literal>CREATE TABLE</literal> command.
+      A typed table always has the same column names and data types as the
+      type it is derived from, and you cannot specify additional columns.
       But the <literal>CREATE TABLE</literal> command can add defaults
-      and constraints to the table and can specify storage parameters.
+      and constraints to the table, as well as specify storage parameters.
      </para>

I don't see how this is better.

I'll agree this is more of a stylistic change, but mainly because the talk about data types reasonably implies the other items the patch explicitly mentions - names and additional columns.

- errmsg("type %s is not a composite type",
+ errmsg("type %s is not a stand-alone composite type",

I agree with Peter's complaint that people aren't going to understand
what a stand-alone composite type means when they see the revised
error message; to really help people, we're going to need to do better
than this, I think.

We have a glossary.

That said, leave the wording as-is and add a conditional hint: The composite type must not also be a table.

David J.

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: Add new protocol message to change GUCs for usage with future protocol-only GUCs
От: Andrew Dunstan
Сообщение: Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes