Re: survey: psql syntax errors abort my transactions

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: survey: psql syntax errors abort my transactions
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 8:54 AM Jeremy Schneider <schnjere@amazon.com> wrote:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CABTbUpiAOKZ405uArt8cJFtC72RhzthmvWETQK_6Qw0Ad-HquQ%40mail.gmail.com

This thread on hackers actually seemed kindof short to me. Not nearly enough bike-shedding to call it a closed case.

Seemed about right:

"We should do this"
Yes
No - with a reason
No - with a reason
No - improve user education
No - emphatically
Yes - but ends ups deferring to the majority

No one else chooses to voice an opinion

The status quo prevailed since no-one chose to contribute further arguments for change and the original patch was retracted.  What kind of "bike-shedding" (which seems to be used incorrectly here) would you expect?

All I can speak for is personal usage but I don't find the current default to be an issue.  I'm also generally opposed to changing this kind of default even when I disagree with its current value.  If anything psql is a bit too permissive by default IMO.  Default should be as safe as possible even at the cost of user inconvenience - so that unknowledgeable people get the most protection.  If options exist to trade safety for convenience that is good - each user can make that trade-off for themselves and in the process be aware of what exactly their decision entails.

David J.

От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: Different results from identical matviews
От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: survey: psql syntax errors abort my transactions