Re: Emitting JSON to file using COPY TO

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Emitting JSON to file using COPY TO
Дата
Re: Emitting JSON to file using COPY TO
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 6, 2023 at 4:09 PM Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:
On 12/6/23 14:47, Joe Conway wrote:
> On 12/6/23 13:59, Daniel Verite wrote:
>>      Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>
>>> IMNSHO, we should produce either a single JSON
>>> document (the ARRAY case) or a series of JSON documents, one per row
>>> (the LINES case).
>>
>> "COPY Operations" in the doc says:
>>
>> " The backend sends a CopyOutResponse message to the frontend, followed
>>     by zero or more CopyData messages (always one per row), followed by
>>     CopyDone".
>>
>> In the ARRAY case, the first messages with the copyjsontest
>> regression test look like this (tshark output):
>>
>> PostgreSQL
>>      Type: CopyOut response
>>      Length: 13
>>      Format: Text (0)
>>      Columns: 3
>>      Format: Text (0)

> Anything receiving this and looking for a json array should know how to
> assemble the data correctly despite the extra CopyData messages.

Hmm, maybe the real problem here is that Columns do not equal "3" for
the json mode case -- that should really say "1" I think, because the
row is not represented as 3 columns but rather 1 json object.

Does that sound correct?

Assuming yes, there is still maybe an issue that there are two more
"rows" that actual output rows (the "[" and the "]"), but maybe those
are less likely to cause some hazard?

What is the limitation, if any, of introducing new type codes for these.  n = 2..N for the different variants?  Or even -1 for "raw text"?  And document that columns and structural rows need to be determined out-of-band.  Continuing to use 1 (text) for this non-csv data seems like a hack even if we can technically make it function.  The semantics, especially for the array case, are completely discarded or wrong.

David J.

От: Nathan Bossart
Сообщение: Re: Clean up some signal usage mainly related to Windows
От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: PATCH: Add REINDEX tag to event triggers