Re: group by can use alias from select list

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: group by can use alias from select list
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Tue, Jul 11, 2023 at 7:19 AM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
On Fri, 2023-07-07 at 07:36 +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
> i have a discussion in pgsql-bugs@lists.postgresql.org about this and it is
> mentioned in the answers that it is documented and a "feature" of Postgres
> that this can be done.
> If this is wanted the documentation
> (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-select.html) that mentioned:
> [execution order of SELECT that says that GROUP BY is before SELECT]
> isn't correct because how  can 4.) be done and the alias from 5.) is used?
> Here is a hint important that there is an exception for alias used in group
> by

I think that is already documented:

I think the complaint is that someone seeing the behavior in the wild comes to this order-of-operations and doesn't see that the observed behavior is documented.  Sure, they can go into the GROUP BY section and figure out that there is a "oh, by the way" comment within there that output columns/aliases are indeed allowed.  But I tend to agree that a mention in the "order of operations" section that output columns from step 5 can be seen in step 4 seems like an improvement if we really want the order of operations to be the main reference entry point for people trying to work out query behavior.  Something like:  "(while unadvised it is possible for the aliases defined in the next step to be used here as well)".

David J.

От: Laurenz Albe
Сообщение: Re: group by can use alias from select list
От: Daniel Gustafsson
Сообщение: Clarify errhint in sources.sgml