Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 8:48 AM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> I am thiking the vacuum_cleanup_index_scale_factor existance in a PG 14
> postgresql.conf will throw an error, unlike 13.x, so I do think we need
> to mention this so people will know to remove it from their
> postgresql.conf before upgrades, right?  I don't think the PG 13.3
> release note mention really makes it clear it has to be removed.  In a
> dump/restore, so we retain the reloption
> vacuum_cleanup_index_scale_factor and just ignore it, or drop it on
> restore?  I am hoping it is the later.

There is no dump/restore hazard on upgrade to 14, since the
vacuum_cleanup_index_scale_factor reloption remains in place (it's
just not in psql tab completion anymore, nor is it documented, etc).

It is possible (though I would certainly say unlikely) that the
vacuum_cleanup_index_scale_factor GUC will be in somebody's
postgresql.conf from an earlier version, and won't be recognized on
upgrade to v14. So maybe you need to say something about that
particular issue -- which could be framed as finishing off the process
started by the 13.3 commit. But that's it.

--
Peter Geoghegan

От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: Added missing tab completion for alter subscription set option
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft