Re: MaxOffsetNumber for Table AMs

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: MaxOffsetNumber for Table AMs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 10:56 AM Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:
> What has little chance of succeeding? Table AMs?
>
> And why isn't columnar an example of someting that can "get by with
> heapam's idea of TID"? I mean, it's not a perfect fit, but my primary
> complaint this whole thread is that it's undefined, not that it's
> completely unworkable.

I think that it could be fairly workable with moderate effort (maybe
even without that effort, but that doesn't seem so appealing). To do
it well we have to actually generalize TIDs sensibly. And I think that
that means admitting that we'll never solve the "TID is a stable
identifier of a logical row, not a physical version" problem. ISTM
that that's the problem that is at the root of everything here.

--
Peter Geoghegan

От: "Joel Jacobson"
Сообщение: Re: COPY table_name (single_column) FROM 'iso-8859-1.txt' DELIMITER E'\n'
От: "Joel Jacobson"
Сообщение: Re: COPY table_name (single_column) FROM 'iso-8859-1.txt' DELIMITER E'\n'