pg_start_backup('label',true) why do I need 2nd parameter?

От AI Rumman
Тема pg_start_backup('label',true) why do I need 2nd parameter?
Дата
Re: pg_start_backup('label',true) why do I need 2nd parameter?
Список pgsql-general
Hi all,

A few days back, I faced a problem where I pg_start_backup('label') was hang in the server forever.
I stopped the process and then used pg_start_backup('label',true) and  it worked.

Now I am trying to investigate why I need to use true as second parameter and read the doc
"There is an optional second parameter of type boolean. If true, it specifies executing pg_start_backup as quickly as possible. This forces an immediate checkpoint which will cause a spike in I/O operations, slowing any concurrently executing queries."

I tried to regenerate the scenario where  pg_start_backup('label')  hanged and I failed.
Any idea, how can I regenerate that issue to investigate.

I am using Postgresql 9.2.

Thanks.

От: sparikh
Сообщение: Clone database using rsync?
От: Jeff Janes
Сообщение: Re: Clone database using rsync?