Re: A micro-optimisation for ProcSendSignal()

От Soumyadeep Chakraborty
Тема Re: A micro-optimisation for ProcSendSignal()
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hey Thomas,

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 6:45 PM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Soumyadeep,
>
> On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 5:26 PM Soumyadeep Chakraborty
> <soumyadeep2007@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 10:40 PM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I wonder why we need this member anyway, when you can compute it from
> > > the address... #define GetPGProcNumber(p) ((p) - ProcGlobal->allProcs)
> > > or something like that?  Kinda wonder why we don't use
> > > GetPGProcByNumber() in more places instead of open-coding access to
> > > ProcGlobal->allProcs, too...
> >
> > I tried this out. See attached v4 of your patch with these changes.
>
> I like it.  I've moved these changes to a separate patch, 0002, for
> separate commit.  I tweaked a couple of comments (it's not a position
> in the "procarray", well it's a position stored in the procarray, but
> that's confusing; I also found a stray comment about leader->pgprocno
> that is obsoleted by this change).  Does anyone have objections to
> this?

Awesome, thanks! Looks good.

> I was going to commit the earlier change this morning, but then I read [1].
>
> New idea.  Instead of adding pgprocno to SERIALIZABLEXACT (which we
> should really be trying to shrink, not grow), let's look it up by
> vxid->backendId.  I didn't consider that before, because I was trying
> not to get tangled up with BackendIds for various reasons, not least
> that that's yet another lock + O(n) search.
>
> It seems likely that getting from vxid to latch will be less clumsy in
> the near future.  That refactoring and harmonising of backend
> identifiers seems like a great idea to me.  Here's a version that
> anticipates that, using vxid->backendId to wake a sleeping
> SERIALIZABLE READ ONLY DEFERRABLE backend, without having to add a new
> member to the struct.

Neat! A Vxid -> PGPROC lookup eventually becomes an O(1) operation with the
changes proposed at the ending paragraph of [1].

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20210802164124.ufo5buo4apl6yuvs%40alap3.anarazel.de

Regards,
Soumyadeep (VMware)

От: Kyotaro Horiguchi
Сообщение: Re: archive status ".ready" files may be created too early
От: Amit Kapila
Сообщение: Re: Failed transaction statistics to measure the logical replication progress