Re: libpq compression (part 3)

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: libpq compression (part 3)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 20, 2024 at 9:09 PM Andrey M. Borodin <x4mmm@yandex-team.ru> wrote:

> On 20 May 2024, at 23:37, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> But, does this mean that we should just refuse to offer compression as
> a feature?

No, absolutely, we need the feature.

> I guess I don't understand why TLS removed
> support for encryption entirely instead of disclaiming its use in some
> appropriate way.

I think, the scope of TLS is too broad. HTTPS in turn has a compression. But AFAIK it never compress headers.
IMO we should try to avoid compressing authentication information.

That used to be the case in HTTP/1. But header compression was one of the headline features of HTTP/2, which isn't exactly new anymore. But there's a special algorithm, HPACK, for it. And then http/3 uses QPACK. Cloudflare has a pretty decent blog post explaining why and how: https://blog.cloudflare.com/hpack-the-silent-killer-feature-of-http-2/, or rfc7541 for all the details.

tl;dr; is yes, let's be careful not to expose headers to a CRIME-style attack. And I doubt our connections has as much to gain by compressing "header style" fields as http, so we are probably better off just not compressing those parts.

От: Jacob Champion
Сообщение: Re: libpq compression (part 3)
От: Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker
Сообщение: Re: Cleaning up perl code