Re: Deadlock risk while inserting directly into partition?

От David Rowley
Тема Re: Deadlock risk while inserting directly into partition?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 26 Jun 2021 at 16:41, Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 10:27:06AM +1200, David Rowley wrote:
> > I think the reasons for doing operations directly on partitions are
> > being reduced with each release.  What operations do people really
> > need to do on partitions now? TRUNCATE is probably one, maybe there's
> > still a need to CREATE INDEX.
>
> We always SELECT out of parent tables, but need to be able to CREATE INDEX on
> partitions.

I imagined we'd have something along the lines of: ALTER TABLE
partitioned_table ALTER PARTITION part CREATE INDEX.  I admit I don't
know how that would look when faced with multi-level partitioning.

> And INSERT ON CONFLICT into partitions,

I didn't think of that one.  Looks like we're further away from
partitioning being transparent to queries and DML than I thought :-(

David

От: David Rowley
Сообщение: Re: Remove redundant initializations
От: Daniel Gustafsson
Сообщение: Re: Remove redundant initializations