Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes

От David Rowley
Тема Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 16 May 2024 at 14:48, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 09:13:14AM -0400, Melanie Plageman wrote:
> > Also +1 on the Sawada/Naylor change being on the highlight section of
> > the release (as David suggested upthread).
>
> Agreed, I went with the attached applied patch.

+Allow vacuum to more efficiently store tuple references and remove
its memory limit (Masahiko Sawada, John Naylor)
+</para>

I don't want it to seem like I'm splitting hairs, but I'd drop the "
and remove its memory limit"

+<para>
+Specifically, maintenance_work_mem and autovacuum_work_mem can now be
configured to use more than one gigabyte of memory.  WAL traffic
caused by vacuum is also more compact.

I'd say the first sentence above should be written as:

"Additionally, vacuum no longer silently imposes a 1GB tuple reference
limit even when maintenance_work_mem or autovacuum_work_mem are set to
higher values"

It's not "Specifically" as the "more efficiently store tuple
references" isn't the same thing as removing the 1GB cap. Also, there
was never a restriction in configuring maintenance_work_mem or
autovacuum_work_mem  to values higher than 1GB. The restriction was
that vacuum was unable to utilize anything more than that.

David

От: Amit Kapila
Сообщение: Re: Fix src/test/subscription/t/029_on_error.pl test when wal_debug is enabled
От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes