Re: Ignore Visual Studio's Temp Files While Working with PG on Windows

От Yasir
Тема Re: Ignore Visual Studio's Temp Files While Working with PG on Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Sun, May 19, 2024 at 2:35 AM Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

On 2024-05-18 Sa 16:54, Yasir wrote:

On Sun, May 19, 2024 at 1:45 AM Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

On 2024-05-18 Sa 15:43, Yasir wrote:

On Sat, May 18, 2024 at 7:27 PM Josef Šimánek <josef.simanek@gmail.com> wrote:
pá 17. 5. 2024 v 8:09 odesílatel Yasir <yasir.hussain.shah@gmail.com> napsal:

> Hi Hackers,
>
> I have been playing with PG on the Windows platform recently. An annoying thing I faced is that a lot of Visual Studio's temp files kept appearing in git changed files. Therefore, I am submitting this very trivial patch to ignore these temp files.

see https://docs.github.com/en/get-started/getting-started-with-git/ignoring-files#configuring-ignored-files-for-all-repositories-on-your-computer
for various strategies

We can add it to "~/.config/git/ignore" as it will ignore globally on windows which we don't want. Also we don't have ".git/info/exclude" in PG project's so the best place left is projects's .gitignore. That's what was patched.

eh? git creates .git/info/exclude in every git repository AFAIK. And it's referred to here: <https://git-scm.com/docs/gitignore>

Yes, git creates .git/info/exclude but point is, it is not in PG maintained codebase repo. So, no point adding to it.

BTW, Tom and Peter said it's not going to be added anyway!

You've completely missed my point, which is that *you* should be adding it to that file, as an alternative to using a (locally) global gitignore file.

My bad Andrew.

I agree with Tom and Peter.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan
EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes
От: Noah Misch
Сообщение: Re: pg_trgm comparison bug on cross-architecture replication due to different char implementation