Re: pgsql: Allow page lock to conflict among parallel group members.

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: pgsql: Allow page lock to conflict among parallel group members.
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 5:57 AM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2020-03-21 03:27:07 +0000, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > Currently, the parallel mode is strictly read-only, but after this patch
> > we have the infrastructure to allow parallel inserts and parallel copy.
>
> Minor nit: I don't think this gets to fully having the infrastructure
> for that. It just removes one roadblock. Or am I missing something here?

AFAIU, after this, we don't have more roadblocks for parallel inserts,
copy or similar operations where workers will be able to perform
insert operation, surely there is much more work required to make
those actually parallel.  The other opportunities this opens up are
allowing multiple workers for one large index cleanups and heap pass
in a parallel vacuum.  Do you see any other fundamental problems that
need to be solved for parallel inserts?

Having said that, we still have some problems to solve to make updates
or deletes parallel.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Re: pgsql: Allow page lock to conflict among parallel group members.
От: Noah Misch
Сообщение: pgsql: Revert "Skip WAL for new relfilenodes, under wal_level=minimal."