Re: Collation version tracking for macOS

От Thomas Munro
Тема Re: Collation version tracking for macOS
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 11:33 AM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 5:42 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > I'm sure that Apple are indeed updating the UTF8 data behind
> > their proprietary i18n APIs, but the libc APIs are mostly getting benign
> > neglect.
>
> As for how exactly they might be doing that, I don't know, but a bit
> of light googling tells me that a private, headerless,
> please-don't-call-me-directly copy of ICU arrived back in macOS
> 10.3[1].  I don't see it on my 12.4 system, but I also know that 12.x
> started hiding system libraries completely (the linker is magic and
> pulls libraries from some parallel dimension, there is no
> /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib file on disk, and yet otool -L
> <your_favourite_executable> references it).

The other thread about a macOS linking problem nerd-sniped me back
into here to find out how to see breadcrumbs between hidden libraries
on this super weird UNIX™ and confirm that they are indeed still
shipping a private ICU for use by their Core Foundation stuff that's
used by fancy ObjC/Swift/... etc GUI apps.  The following command was
an interesting discovery for me because otool -L can't see any of the
new kind of ghost libraries:

% dyld_info -dependents
/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation

Though I can't get my hands on the hidden ICU library itself to
disassemble (without installing weird extra tools, apparently [1]),
that at least revealed its name, which I could then dlopen out of
curiosity.  It seems they jammed all the ICU sub-libraries into one,
and configured it with --disable-renaming so it doesn't have major
version suffixes on symbol names.

It'd clearly be a terrible idea for us to try to use any of that, and
Mac users should be very happy with the new support for ICU as DB
default.

[1] https://lapcatsoftware.com/articles/bigsur.html

От: David Fetter
Сообщение: Re: Finer grain log timestamps
От: Kyotaro Horiguchi
Сообщение: Re: "buffer too small" or "path too long"?