Would PostgreSQL adapt to a HYPOTHETICAL hardware that grows and shrinks as load increases?

От Jean Baro
Тема Would PostgreSQL adapt to a HYPOTHETICAL hardware that grows and shrinks as load increases?
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hi there,

Let's imagine there is a type of Server(Physical, Unikernel, or Hypervisor, doesn't matter here) that could allocate more RAM, IO bus, Network bandwidth, or CPU power through API calls. The increase or decrease would take a few milliseconds to effectively take place.

This hypothetical VM would receive commands from external monitoring tools that detect load and complex queries (through statistics and ML) and would decide to adjust the VM size accordingly,

I have a rough idea how complex (or impossible) it would be for ANY modern database to rely on an always-changing "hardware". As there are many CORE datasets in memory and statistics around the hardware, so changing this every now and then seems to require a completely different strategy.

I am not an expert but as I see more and more Serverless solutions tackling RDBMS, and PostgreSQL being the leader in the cloud world, I was wondering if one day PostgreSQL could take advantage of these scalable VMs.
  • It seems to me that scaling up could be less complex, as PG wouldn't have to select what to invalidate from its cache layers and statistics.
  • Statistics would be affected every time the size of the instance changes
  • The instance should probably have a minimum size to avoid cold starts. So scaling to zero wouldn't be possible.
  • If the server where the VM/Unikernel is running has no more available resources to grow, what should be done (maybe this machine should share resources with SPOT only, so it could forcibly deallocate the spot instances before increasing the size of the DB VM?)
Any help to educate me on this would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

От: Alex R
Сообщение: Re: pgAdmin4 - How to get ERD from existing schema (details skipped in documentation)?
От: Jean Baro
Сообщение: Could this "tool" one day be part of PostgreSQL native features? I reckon it would be useful for most PG user.