Re: bug: copy progress reporting of backends which run multiple COPYs

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: bug: copy progress reporting of backends which run multiple COPYs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 7, 2024 at 9:12 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> FWIW, I'm rather annoyed by the fact that we rely on the ParseState to
> decide if reporting should happen or not.  file_fdw tells, even if
> that's accidental, that status reporting can be useful if working on a
> single table.  So, shutting down the whole reporting if a caller if
> BeginCopyFrom() does not give a ParseState is too heavy-handed, IMO.

I think you're hoping for too much. The progress reporting
infrastructure is fundamentally designed around the idea that there
can only be one progress-reporting operation in progress at a time.
For COPY, that is, I believe, true, but for file_fdw, it's false. If
we want to do any kind of progress reporting from within plannable
queries, we need some totally different and much more complex
infrastructure that can report progress for, probably, each plan node
individually. I think it's likely a mistake to try to shoehorn cases
like this into the infrastructure
that we have today. It will just encourage people to try to use the
current infrastructure in ways that are less and less like what it was
actually designed to do; whereas what we should be doing if we want
this kind of functionality, at least IMHO, is building infrastructure
that's actually fit for purpose.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: AIX support
От: Nazir Bilal Yavuz
Сообщение: Re: CREATE DATABASE with filesystem cloning