Re: Add minimal C example and SQL registration example for custom table access methods.

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Add minimal C example and SQL registration example for custom table access methods.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 3, 2024 at 1:35 PM Phil Eaton <phil@eatonphil.com> wrote:
> Happy for feedback. Updated patch is attached.

I took a look at this patch and I don't think this is a very good
idea, for two reasons:

1. We change the table access method interface definitions not all
that infrequently, so I think this will become out of date, and fail
to get updated.

2. Writing a table access method is really hard, and if you need this
in order to be able to attempt it, you're probably shouldn't be
attmempting it.

I wouldn't mind patching the documentation to add the SQL part of
this; that seems short enough, non-obvious enough, and sufficiently
unlikely to change that I can believe it would be a worthwhile
addition. But there have been 21 commits to tableam.h in the last 6
months and most of those would have needed to update this example, and
I think it's very likely that some of them would have forgotten it.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

От: Tomas Vondra
Сообщение: Re: BitmapHeapScan streaming read user and prelim refactoring
От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: Unlinking Parallel Hash Join inner batch files sooner