Re: Support LIKE with nondeterministic collations

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Support LIKE with nondeterministic collations
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 2, 2024 at 9:38 AM Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:
> On 30.04.24 14:39, Daniel Verite wrote:
> >    postgres=# SELECT '.foo.' like '_oo' COLLATE ign_punct;
> >     ?column?
> >    ----------
> >    (1 row)
> >
> > The first two results look fine, but the next one is inconsistent.
>
> This is correct, because '_' means "any single character".  This is
> independent of the collation.

Seems really counterintuitive. I had to think for a long time to be
able to guess what was happening here. Finally I came up with this
guess:

If the collation-aware matching tries to match up f with the initial
period, the period is skipped and the f matches f. But when the
wildcard is matched to the initial period, that uses up the wildcard
and then we're left trying to match o with f, which doesn't work.

Is that right?

It'd probably be good to use something like this as an example in the
documentation. My intuition is that if foo matches a string, then _oo
f_o and fo_ should also match that string. Apparently that's not the
case, but I doubt I'll be the last one who thinks it should be.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

От: Devrim Gündüz
Сообщение: Re: Proposal: Early providing of PGDG repositories for the major Linux distributions like Fedora or Debian
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Weird "null" errors during DROP TYPE (pg_upgrade)