Re: More WITH

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: More WITH
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 2:39 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 11:23 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> More generally, what would you hope to accomplish with such a construct
>>> that wouldn't be better done by writing the cursor's underlying query
>>> directly in the WITH clause?
>
>> Maybe I'm stupid today, but it seems like the obvious use case would
>> be fetching some but not all rows from the cursor?
>
> And how many rows would that be?  As I said, the proposed syntax leaves
> it completely unclear how many rows get fetched or what the ending cursor
> position is; but especially so if you want the answer to be something
> other than "all/the end".

/me is bemused.

The existing syntax for FETCH already includes a way to specify the
number of rows you want to fetch, as in this example from the
documentation:

FETCH FORWARD 5 FROM liahona;

Why wouldn't that work here too?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: Reduce ProcArrayLock contention
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: More WITH