Re: libpq compression (part 3)

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: libpq compression (part 3)
Дата
Re: libpq compression (part 3)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 20, 2024 at 2:05 PM Andrey M. Borodin <x4mmm@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
> Compression defeats encryption. That's why it's not in TLS anymore.
> The thing is compression codecs use data self correlation. And if you mix secret data with user's data, user might
guesshow correlated they are.

Yeah, I'm aware that there are some problems like this. For example,
suppose the bad guy can both supply some of the data sent over the
connection (e.g. by typing search queries into a web page) and also
observe the traffic between the web application and the database. Then
they could supply data and try to guess how correlated that is with
other data sent over the same connection. But if that's a practical
attack, preventing compression prior to the authentication exchange
probably isn't good enough: the user could also try to guess what
queries are being sent on behalf of other users through the same
pooled connection, or they could try to use the bits of the query that
they can control to guess what the other bits of the query that they
can't see look like.

But, does this mean that we should just refuse to offer compression as
a feature? This kind of attack isn't a threat in every environment,
and in some environments, compression could be pretty useful. For
instance, you might need to pull down a lot of data from the database
over a slow connection. Perhaps you're the only user of the database,
and you wrote all of the queries yourself in a locked vault, accepting
no untrusted inputs. In that case, these kinds of attacks aren't
possible, or at least I don't see how, but you might want both
compression and encryption. I guess I don't understand why TLS removed
support for encryption entirely instead of disclaiming its use in some
appropriate way.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

От: Melanie Plageman
Сообщение: Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes