Re: Splitting libpq build

От Igor Korot
Тема Re: Splitting libpq build
Дата
Re: Splitting libpq build  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi Tom,

On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 3:11 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Igor Korot <ikorot01@gmail.com> writes:
> > I wonder who ade the decision not to provide an independent build
> > of the client library of PostgreSQL? And what was the reason behind it?
>
> It wasn't worth the maintenance trouble.  It still isn't.  On any
> remotely-modern machine, a build of the whole tree is only going
> to take a minute or two.  And libpq doesn't change so fast that
> you'd need to do this often.

But building the whole tree is just that - useless.
All I need is the libpq to connect to the remote server.

So I don't need the server to be built - I need a client.

> Having said that, it does work on non-Windows machines to do
>         ./configure ...
>         cd src/interfaces/libpq
>         make -s install

Well, asking people to download the whole source tree just to build
client library 1000 times and then 1000 times delete the source code...

I don't know - I'd rather have to install just the library.

> The Windows case is exactly what we killed as not being worth
> the maintenance effort, so I doubt you'll find much interest
> in resurrecting that one.

So instead of simplifying the life of maintainers in the different distros
you made the life easier for yourself. ;;-)

Thank you.