Re: Access to postgres conversion

От akp geek
Тема Re: Access to postgres conversion
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks so much . I was using bullzip What I felt with Bullzip was it is good for less amount of data.  I have 2 tables each of which has 2.5 million records.  For me it is taking for ever, The job that I set up has been running since 12 hours.

I appreciate if you could share the VBA code that you were mentioning. I would love to use that to make the data transfer faster

Regards

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Thomas Harold <thomas-lists@nybeta.com> wrote:
On 5/25/2011 3:42 PM, akp geek wrote:
Dear all -

            I would like to know if any one has migrated database from
MS access to Postgres . We use postgres 9.0.2 on solaris . Are there any
open source tools that you have used to do this task. Can you please
share your experiences ?

I rolled my own.

If the number of rows in the MDB table is not that many (under 100k), then I'll create a new table up on pgsql, link to it with the ODBC driver, and append from the source table to the pgsql table.  You can get away with larger appends if both systems are on the same network.

If it was a table with a few million rows, then I wrote a little VBA snippet that created a pgdump compatible SQL text file from the source data.  To figure out the format, I just pgdump'd an existing table from PostgreSQL, then patterned my SQL file after it.  While it was extremely fast at doing the conversion (both generating the SQL file and the time it took for pgdump to process the SQL file), I only recommend that method for cases where you have millions and millions of rows.  Or a lot of identical tables.

(The VBA module was about 100-150 lines of code in total.)

От: Thomas Harold
Сообщение: Re: Access to postgres conversion
От: Vick Khera
Сообщение: Re: Access to postgres conversion