Re: plan time of MASSIVE partitioning ...

От PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Тема Re: plan time of MASSIVE partitioning ...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sep 3, 2010, at 4:40 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres@cybertec.at> writes:
>> imagine a system with, say, 1000 partitions (heavily indexed) or so. the time taken by the planner is already fairly
heavyin this case.

> As the fine manual points out, the current scheme for managing
> partitioned tables isn't intended to scale past a few dozen partitions.
>
> I think we'll be able to do better when we have an explicit
> representation of partitioning, since then the planner won't
> have to expend large amounts of effort reverse-engineering knowledge
> about how an inheritance tree is partitioned.  Before that happens,
> it's not really worth the trouble to worry about such cases.
>
>             regards, tom lane

thank you ... - the manual is clear here but we wanted to see if there is some reasonably low hanging fruit to get
aroundthis.
it is no solution but at least a clear statement ...
many thanks,
    hans

--
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH
Gröhrmühlgasse 26

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: plan time of MASSIVE partitioning ...
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Interruptible sleeps (was Re: CommitFest 2009-07: Yay, Kevin! Thanks, reviewers!)