Re: Do we need yet another IDE (SQL development assistant) forPostgreSQL?

От Chris
Тема Re: Do we need yet another IDE (SQL development assistant) forPostgreSQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Dmitry,

I think this a wonderful idea, but it will be tough. Share my experience:
—dbeaver:
It is for multi-platform so it is just for use, no particular function, also there is more bugs(our company had changed some of them).
dbeaver is likely the most open source app form pg now, I know more people use it.
—pgadmin4:
I don’t like web client for database, I used it and it is good for there is simple monitor-windows.
For now, I used jetbrains’s product:datagrip, it is also coded by java,but is better for dbeaver.

Best Wishes,
Chris

在 2018年7月17日,上午6:21,Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> 写道:

Dmitry Igrishin <dmitigr@gmail.com> writes:

пн, 16 июл. 2018 г. в 1:14, Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>:

Your idea to make it integrate with user's preferred editor is a good
idea as editors are like opinions and certain anatomical parts -
everyone has one! Finding an appropriate API to do this will be a
challenge.

I see two options here: the core of the tool acts as a long-lived server or
as a short-lived
console application which communicates with the editor's plugin via
stdin/stdout.
Btw, what the text editor do you prefer? :-)

Most of the time, I use Emacs on either Linux or macOS. With the support
it has for running a psql process, it works pretty well for most
things. There are pretty reasonable packages for writing SQL and
'static' completion. Getting things setup can take a bit of effort, but
once it is working, it tends to work pretty well.

The two areas where it lacks are dynamic completion i.e. completing on
objects the user has created such as table names and column
names/function names etc. and decent result formatting.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Oracle was going to remove
swing from the core java library. I've always been a little disappointed
with Java UIs and found they don't give the cross-platform support that
Java originally promised, plus OSX/macOS has not made Java as welcome as
it use to be. If you do choose Java, it will need to work under openJDK
as this is what most Linux users will have installed.

For now, the possible options for the GUI part are Qt, wxWidgets or FLTK,
or even Electron.

I would look at either Qt or even Electron (I believe visual code is
written using Electron, which is the other editor I use from time to
time).

There was an Emacs project called Eclaim (I think) which interfaced with
Eclipse services in order to provide dynamic completion when doing
Java. That could be worth checking out for ideas to borrow.

Tim

--
Tim Cross

От: Alessandro Aste
Сообщение: cache lookup failed for attribute 1 of relation XXXXXX
От: Adrien NAYRAT
Сообщение: Re: Shared buffers increased but cache hit ratio is still 85%