Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 5/16/24 17:36, Jacob Champion wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 2:29 PM Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:
>> If no one, including the author (new or otherwise) is interested in
>> shepherding a particular patch, what chance does it have of ever getting
>> committed?
>
> That's a very different thing from what I think will actually happen, which is
>
> - new author posts patch
> - community member says "use commitfest!"

Here is where we should point them at something that explains the care
and feeding requirements to successfully grow a patch into a commit.

> - new author registers patch
> - no one reviews it
> - patch gets automatically booted

Part of the care and feeding instructions should be a warning regarding
what happens if you are unsuccessful in the first CF and still want to
see it through.

> - community member says "register it again!"
> - new author says ಠ_ಠ

As long as this is not a surprise ending, I don't see the issue.

> Like Tom said upthread, the issue isn't really that new authors are
> somehow uninterested in their own patches.

First, some of them objectively are uninterested in doing more than
dropping a patch over the wall and never looking back. But admittedly
that is not too often.

Second, I don't think a once every two months effort in order to
register continuing interest is too much to ask.

And third, if we did something like Magnus' suggestion about a CF
parking lot, the process would be even more simple.

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

От: Daniel Gustafsson
Сообщение: Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose