Re: unexpected results with NOT IN query

От Mason Hale
Тема Re: unexpected results with NOT IN query
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks -- that was it -- last_feed_download_task_id can indeed be null.

- Mason

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com> wrote:
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Mason Hale wrote:

> Hello --
>
> I'm getting some unexpected results with a NOT IN query -- this is on 8.2.5.
>
> This is the query in question:
>
> prod_2=> select id from feed_download_task where id in (111102466,141701504)
> and id not in (select last_feed_download_task_id from subscription);

Is it possible for last_feed_download_task_id be NULL? If so, then then id
not in (...)  will not ever return true due to the way comparisons with
NULLs work -- basically, it can't tell if the id is in the other table
because id = NULL is unknown, so it thus can't tell that it's not in the
other table either, so you could end up with neither in nor not in
returning the row.

От: Arturo Pérez
Сообщение: Re: nntp not workiNG
От: Bjørn T Johansen
Сообщение: Re: Which JDBC version to use with PostgreSQL 8.1.11?