Re: Tuning 8.3

От Gregory Stark
Тема Re: Tuning 8.3
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Roberts, Jon" <Jon.Roberts@asurion.com> writes:

> I need to run about 1000 PostgreSQL connections on a server that I can
> use about 4 GB of the total 16 GB of total RAM.  It seems that each
> session creates a process that uses about 15 MB of RAM just for
> connecting so I'm running out of RAM rather quickly.

I think you're being bitten by a different problem than it appears. Windows
has a fixed size per-session shared memory pool which runs out rather quickly.
You can raise that parameter though. (The 125 mentioned there is raised to
about 300 with Pg 8.3.)

See:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_windows.html#4.4

> Any tips for reducing the memory footprint per session?  There is
> pgBouncer but is there anything I can do in the configuration before I
> go with a connection pooler?

I think at 1,000 you're probably into the domain where pgbouncer (or others
like it) is a good idea. Or you could pool or batch at a higher level and have
fewer sessions active at all. You don't win any performance by trying to do
more things simultaneously if they're just competing for cpu timeslices or i/o
bandwidth.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Get trained by Bruce Momjian - ask me about
EnterpriseDB'sPostgreSQL training!

От: Gregory Stark
Сообщение: Re: Questions about indexes with text_pattern_ops
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Questions about indexes with text_pattern_ops