Re: Wire protocol: type-specific opt-in to binary format

От Florian Weimer
Тема Re: Wire protocol: type-specific opt-in to binary format
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Florian Pflug:

> On Nov24, 2011, at 10:03 , Florian Weimer wrote:
>> I would like to add functionality which allows a client to tell the
>> server which types can be sent in binary format.  The immediate goal is
>> to suppress hex quoting for BYTEA values, but it seems to make sense to
>> make this functionality more general.
>
> If you use the extended query protocol, the client can already choose
> text vs. binary representation on a per-column basis. You can query
> the result's column types by issuing a Describe message after the
> Parse message.  For each column you can then decide whether you want
> textual or binary representation, and include that choice in the
> subsequent Bind message.

Interesting.  Doesn't this introduce another roundtrip?

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer@bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: Notes on implementing URI syntax for libpq
От: Florian Weimer
Сообщение: Re: Notes on implementing URI syntax for libpq