Re: brininsert optimization opportunity

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: brininsert optimization opportunity
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Here's two patched to deal with this open item. 0001 is a trivial fix of
typos and wording, I moved it into a separate commit for clarity. 0002
does the actual fix - adding the index_insert_cleanup(). It's 99% the
patch Alvaro shared some time ago, with only some minor formatting
tweaks by me.

I've also returned to this Alvaro's comment:

> Lastly, I kinda disagree with the notion that only some of the callers
> of aminsert should call aminsertcleanup, even though btree doesn't
> have an aminsertcleanup and thus it can't affect TOAST or catalogs.

which was a reaction to my earlier statement about places calling
index_insert():

> There's a call in toast_internals.c, but that seems OK because that
> only deals with btree indexes (and those don't need any cleanup). The
> same logic applies to unique_key_recheck(). The rest goes through
> execIndexing.c, which should do the cleanup in ExecCloseIndices().

I think Alvaro is right, so I went through all index_insert() callers
and checked which need the cleanup. Luckily there's not that many of
them, only 5 in total call index_insert() directly:

1) toast_save_datum (src/backend/access/common/toast_internals.c)

  This is safe, because the index_insert() passes indexInfo=NULL, so
  there can't possibly be any cache. If we ever decide to pass a valid
  indexInfo, we can add the cleanup, now it seems pointless.

  Note: If someone created a BRIN index on a TOAST table, that'd already
  crash, because BRIN blindly dereferences the indexInfo. Maybe that
  should be fixed, but we don't support CREATE INDEX on TOAST tables.

2) heapam_index_validate_scan (src/backend/access/heap/heapam_handler.c)

  Covered by the committed fix, adding cleanup to validate_index.

3) CatalogIndexInsert (src/backend/catalog/indexing.c)

  Covered by all callers also calling CatalogCloseIndexes, which in turn
  calls ExecCloseIndices and cleanup.

4) unique_key_recheck (src/backend/commands/constraint.c)

  This seems like the only place missing the cleanup call.

5) ExecInsertIndexTuples (src/backend/executor/execIndexing.c)

  Should be covered by ExecCloseIndices, called after the insertions.

So it seems only (4) unique_key_recheck needs the extra call (it can't
really happen higher because the indexInfo is a local variable). So the
0002 patch adds the call.

The patch also adds a test for this (or rather tweaks an existing one).

It's a bit too late for me to push this now, I'll do so early tomorrow.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: "Devulapalli, Raghuveer"
Сообщение: RE: Popcount optimization using AVX512
От: Nathan Bossart
Сообщение: Re: Popcount optimization using AVX512